Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting a good performance.
Jerin
post Dec 4 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

When I interned with a local Sound Egineer ( amazingly talented guy, did Norah Jones stuff, tons of local bands, and so much more )

he told me that being an engineer was 40% problem solving, 40% being a shrink, and 20% actually knowing the technical aspects.

Regardless of what set up you have, how good your mic is, how experienced your talent is, the most important thing you can do, is to make the person feel comfortable, and confident.

so...

Some tricks to get the best performance:

1.)
If you need another take, and you've already done a lot. Don't be afraid to take the blame. such as " That was great! but I just want to tweak one thing on my end, i think it will come out better, so here we go, one more."
-Just don't blame yourself too often, then you look like your clueless and you won't be able to get people to work with you again.

2.) Focus on what they did right before you drop the "what you did wrong" bomb on them. Shit you can even make something up that sounds impressive. Just keep your performers in high spirits, it will get you far better results.

3.) Be prepared!
Know exactly what you need before you get to work with the performer. It saves time, and if they feel like you really know your shit. They'll try harder. Everybody wins =P
-This isn't to say you can't change on the fly, thats often a good thing. "It never hurts to sit back and if they have read and gone over their preparation materials, scripts etc... see what they come up with.. you never know what you may not have thought of. " -Trist

4.) Make Tea
no, seriously. Tea for vocalists it does wonders, or even just water if they arn't a tea person.

... work in progress...

if anyone has any other suggestions on this matter, post em! I'll update the post =D

--------------------
Retired for RL leveling
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Dec 4 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2

Hey jerin that post was pretty awesome... How do you think you would have phrased answer 4 however if you were talking to a child about the subject matter?

^^^ there is your first lesson in working with actors.

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Dec 4 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #3

How would you have phrased answer four if you were talking to someone who just kicked you in the nuts?

^^^^ Just another example. It is basically saying... don't say, BE ANGRY OR PISSED OFF THAT YOU JUST GOT KICKED INT EH NUTS... Give them a chance to figure out how it would feel to get kicked in the nuts on their own, if that is not what you wanted figure out another scenario or have them come up with one. Sometimes you may have an awesome picture in your head but an actor can come up with something extremely colorful on thier own with the right inspirational background. This goes for veteran and non veteran actors. Veteran may actually get angry if you do not do it in that way.

+Quote Post
Jerin
post Dec 4 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #4

word.
So your basically saying don't demand a result from an actor, give them the means that will lead them to the desired result, but let them get there.
??

--------------------
Retired for RL leveling

+Quote Post
TheGodfather
post Dec 4 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Yes :)

With any production you should be so damn familiar with it it hurts. You should also know what YOU want.. but as I was shown ahwile ago... it never hurts to sit back and if they have read and gone over their preparation materials, scripts etc... see what they come up with.. you never know what you may not have thought of.

Directing a voice actor/actor/anyone can be a very humbling experience. In a good way.

+Quote Post
Jerin
post Dec 4 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #6

adding that

--------------------
Retired for RL leveling

+Quote Post
StoneFalconProdu...
post Mar 10 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 446

I have lots of experience here, as a director in the animation industry, and I have actually worked with some well known talent, so if anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

But yes one of the #1 rules in directing voice over is never give your actors a 'read' (unless they are little kids), always say something or describe something that suggests the direction that you want, and have them create their own version. After all, you theoretically hired them bcause of their skill and creativity. And rule #2 - energy, energy, energy!

Of course, this might not always apply to machinima in cases where you are just begging non actor friends to read a line or two :biggrin:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:50 AM| Skin Developed By Creative Networks